Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
The Hyderabad unit was established in the year 2003 with the intention to increase access to justice for children, dalits, and women.
The unit filed PIL in High court of Andhra Pradesh implementation of S.C/S.T (POA) Act and got orders in implementation. The unit appointed Dalit advocates for each district and worked on the S.C/S.T (POA)Act and filed innumerable cases in the districts.
The unit managed to stop child marriages in Srikalahasti temple in the District of Chittoor through Supreme Court’s intervention. HRLN lead the awareness campaign in Chittoor and Nellore Districts along with other organizations on child marriages and worked along with Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiya Foundation (MVF) to rescue victims of child labor.
- Displacement: The new state has been carved in the year 2014 with a lot of hopes but in the name of new irrigation projects, the state is not following the policies related to Right to fair compensation, Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation, and Resettlement Act 2013.
- Farmers’ suicides: Farmer suicide rates are very high in Telangana state because of debts, perils of cotton farming, climate change, poor knowledge on farming, and failure of Government’s agricultural policies.
- Exploition of natural resources: There are many cases of violations of various environmental and forest laws, especially concerning sand and mineral mining from the Godavari river.
- Vth Schedule: There is a huge Vth schedule area in this state. The state has formed new Districts, in the name of new districts it has scattered scheduled area into pieces, where scheduled areas have been merged into plain areas. The state has divided scheduled area in the name of new districts; it is the violation of Article 244(1) para 5.
- Health rights: In Scheduled areas, tribals are plagued by malaria typhoid fever due to poor medical facilities and many people die every winter season. Primary health centers are not functioning correctly. Malnutrition, infant deaths, maternal deaths are routine in scheduled area.
- Dalit rights: Dalits face social boycotts and atrocities. Incidents of honor killings, upper caste people are killing Dalit boys are increasing by the day. Dalit assigned lands are being occupied by upper caste people and the police is not providing adequate support.
- Women issues: Cases of atrocities on women and domestic violence are on the rise, along with acid attacks on women.
PIL's & Cases
Slideshow - PIL's & Cases.
Support the Andhra Pradesh and Telangana unit.
Visit the HRLN office for legal support or to know more about our work:
HUMAN RIGHTS LAW NETWORK
4-7-355/A/1, Esamia Bazar, koti
Phone : 9866785404