HRLN is currently seeking a Senior Programme Officer for its Women Justice (WJI). The Women’s Justice Initiative at HRLN works against the backdrop of gender inequality, discrimination and the gross violations of women’s rights, with the objective of using the law to oppose all forms of gender based discrimination and violence against women and to increase women's access to the justice system as a vital means to their empowerment. In keeping with the philosophy of HRLN, WJI provides comprehensive free legal services especially to poor and marginalized women.
This position will be based at the HRLN office in Delhi, and involves travel throughout India as and when required. Salary negotiable.
Suitable candidate will be providing direction and working closely within the Women Justice Team holding following responsibilities:
- Managing a team of staff and interns for all litigation and legal advocacy work on the implementation of Reproductive Rights/Women’s Justice
- Managing fact finding missions to investigate cases on the denial of reproductive, drafting and researching legal cases, co-ordinating and liaising with various HRLN offices across India on existing litigation and advocacy work
- Providing and co-ordinating trainings, consultation and workshops on raising awareness on Reproductive Rights
- Media work: involving writing press releases, following up on media coverage, giving press interviews
- Documentation: recording and filing of case work and fact finding
- Drafting litigation cases
- Liaising and networking with grass root communities and NGOs
- Website: updating the HRLN website
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in a Programme management role
- Dedication and passion for furthering human rights
- A good motivator of people and leader with a vision
- Strong communication skills (both spoken and written) in English and preferably in Hindi, or another Indian language
- Ideally a law graduate or with a good understanding of human rights legal issues (other experienced candidates will also be considered)
- Good research and writing skills
- The ability to process large amounts of information quickly and accurately
- Suitable candidate should be able to take direction from Seniors and work well independently, and use own initiative
Please email a CV with a cover letter, with full academic details, work history and two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly marking ‘ Senior Programme Officer: Women Justice’ in subject box by Septmeber 25, 2014. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) is a collective of lawyers and social activists dedicated to the advancement of human rights in India and the sub-continent through the legal system.
HRLN collaborates with social movements, human rights organizations, grass-roots development groups and victims of human rights violations to ensure the rights of the poor, marginalised and vulnerable are enforced and to challenge, oppression, exploitation and discrimination against any group or individual on the grounds of caste, gender, disability, age, religion, language, ethnic group, sexual orientation, health, economic or social status.
HRLN provides pro bono legal services, conducts public interest litigation, investigates human rights violations, engages in legal advocacy and campaigning, conducts legal awareness programmes and publishes 'know your rights' materials.